Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Winter of our Discontent

I just watched Reality Bites for the millionth time last night. It was the first time I've watched it in a few years, though, but could still repeat the dialogue verbatim. When Winona Ryder walked into the club looking for Ethan Hawke after they'd slept together, I had a minor epiphany.

My 29th birthday drawing near, I realized how certain movies had altered my perception of impending events. For instance, when I was twelve, I was sure that high school was going to be exactly like Dazed and Confused. Imagine my disappoint when it was very, very, very unlike anything Randall "Pink" Floyd experienced. When I was 16 or 17 and first discovered Reality Bites, I imagined college and my twenties to be just like it, complete with my own Ethan Hawke. Other than drinking massive amounts of big gulps, dating a few douches like Ben Stiller, and the occasional flash-song breakout of Conjunction Junction, alas, it has been another disappointment. Bring it on, 30's, I have no expectations, 'cept for maybe the Hangover. Third times a charm right? Any one else have a similar experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment