Saturday, July 18, 2009

Johnny Depp is the Mad Hatter





Oh....My....Gosh....

I just got my Entertainment Weekly, and there it is. Alice In Wonderland. March 5 2010. Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter. How freaking cool is that? Alice in Wonderland has to be one of my favorite "kiddie into adult" obsessions, and Johnny Depp has definitely been there from childhood on as well. From Cry Baby to Edward Scissorhands, What's Eating Gilbert Grape to Capt Jack Sparrow, and now John Dillinger to the Mad Hatter, Depp's always been able to dangle on the edge of fantasy and reel it back in to give stellar performances as the "normal" guy. It's amazing the number of movies this man has been in and the range he displays. I don't care what anyone says, hands down best actor of our generation.

My Top 5 Fav Johnny Depp Movies:



5.)Pirates of the Caribbean - All of them. They get a little darker each time, and the movies themselves lose my fan fav as they go along, but Depp's performance in all are outstanding.

4.)Finding Neverland - Again, another of my greatest loves from childhood, Peter Pan. The movie wasn't at all what I expected, but I was assuredly not disappointed.

3.)Don Juan Demarco - One of the first movies I saw him in so it has to stand as a fav

2.)Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Depp's playing an amazing writer, alongside another amazing actor, Benicio del Toro, for an amazing ride. What a long strange trip it's been.

1.)What's Eating Gilbert Grape - I still remember the first time I saw this movie. Juliette Lewis says to him something about Beauty fading and We all get old and it's what's on the Inside that counts. I remember watching that and it clicking-didn't really matter how hard you try to look good, there will always be someone skinnier or prettier out there. And that was ok. But it was what's on the inside that counts. And Johnny Depp totally fell for her so I should work on my inside. Keep in mind, I was 11 when this movie came out. It seemed pretty prolific at the time, given the fact I was in junior high, a time when self doubt and critique is at an all time high. I think that movie really set the pace for the way I would think as time went on. Because if she felt that way, and she was able to get Johnny Depp's character, I'd surely find my own somewhere down the line =)








6 comments:

  1. Just stumbled across your blog and loved it! (Almost as much as I love Johnny Depp)Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Feel free to stumble back anytime =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love Johnny. Secret Window is another of my favorites. And, yes, Gilbert Grape had an impact on me as well... and I also remember thinking that Leonardo was going to be a big star one day (not even knowing his name at the time).

    ReplyDelete
  4. good of you, nice to see

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just watched Secret Window for the first time this weekend actually. I really enjoyed his role, it was like a hybrid of Hunter S Thompson and Gilbert Grape. The story itself I figured out too early into it which is always a bummer, but as a whole loved it. John Turturro is amazing as well =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My nieces think I look like Captain Jack/Depp- especially when I wear my pirate hat. Really, I've got pictures! LOL

    ReplyDelete