Sunday, March 22, 2009

My Bloody Valentine 3d

My step-mom isn't the conspiracy theorist in the household. However, she holds it's a conspiracy to get patrons to the movie-this new wave of 3D flicks. I'd disagree, but I am the epitome of sucker when it comes to 3D. I went to see Coraline, which, by nature is not a movie I'd get exciting about going to. The 3D effects were what roped me in. The last movie I'd be to before that was Twilight (duh!) and before that I can't even remember. Point being-I hate spending 20 bucks on 2 hours worth of entertainment. So yeah, the 3D does have that appeal that waiting for it to come out of video doesn't. I mean, unless you get one of those fancy 3D monitors, and then they'll be no reason to go to the theatre anymore. Unless of course it's for a Twilight movie.

About a month after Coraline, and about 5 or 6 months earlier than I'd normally go to the theatre again, I went to see My Bloody Valentine. I'm normally not a blood-guts-gore type of girl; my fav "horror" flick in Skeleton Key, and that probably falls closer to pyschological/thriller than horror. But, hey, it was 3D so I had to see what it was all about.

I love getting into the theatre, finding your seat amongst the other Buddy Holly look-alikes, and donning those ridiculous glasses, in case, just in case, a preview may be in 3D (note: Coraline-yes, previews in 3D. MBV-nada. Very disappointing.) When the movie started, there were a few simple, grab-your-attention 3D effects. And then it went down hill as far as effects go. There were may 2 other instances I can think of that they really played on the 3D, and other than that it fell short in that arena.

Aside from it's "WB hasbeens" cast, I did enjoy the eye candy provided thru the character of Tom Harringer, played by Jensen Ackles. Of course, he's included in the WB cast-from Supernatural to Smallville, and as far back as Dawson's Creek. I, not being a fan of anything on the WB or CW as it's now called apparently, had never seen him in anything before. Pleasantly surprised, I wish I could have said the same about the other Dawson Creek alum, Kerr Smith. Inside of a cop, I felt like he was an actor playing a cop. It seemed forced and awkward. Of course, again, not a fan of slasher movies,so maybe there are supposed to be like that? I hope so.

Bad acting aside, the movie was enjoyable. There were nice "light" scenes (IE the midget and her dog) plenty to look at on screen (Jensen sure can rock a pick-axe) and enough gore to last me till Quentin Tarantino's next flick. I haven't seen the original, so if anyone wants to add to this, feel free to comment.

1 comment:

  1. Stumbled this for you - hope it brings in a little bit of traffic.

    Do let me know how you are; you've been pretty quiet.

    ReplyDelete